The Lick Sleeve is a sleeve that shields your dog’s injured hind leg from destructive licking and scratching, and debris such as dirt and mud. It’s a form-fitting cover for your dog’s rear leg, with a comfortable design for stress-free recovery.
This leg sleeve for dogs is the brainchild of veterinary surgeon Dr. David Allman, DVM, DACVS-SA. His frustration with the “cone of shame” and other protective solutions led to the Lick Sleeve. Dr. Allman designed the sleeve to help raise compliance rates during recovery — in fact, pet owners tend to keep it on three times longer than the cone.
The Lick Sleeve doesn’t just make your fur baby comfortable. It’s also versatile, with a design perfect for medium to large breed dogs. Plus, our protective dog sleeve is made out of sturdy fabric. You won’t have to worry about taking your furry friend outside, as the material can endure harsh conditions.
Ditch the cone. Let your dog heal safely and in style with the Lick Sleeve.
- The lickleeve team generally recommends keeping the Lick Sleeve on for 3 weeks. This is to ensure the surgical site is fully healed. You should have the surgical site checked by your primary care Veterinarian to make sure it is completely healed prior to removing the Lick Sleeve.
- We ship out of Dallas, Texas USA, at check out you can select different shipping options, such as overnight, 2 days, ground, ect… After making your selection it will display an estimated date of arrival depending on your method of delivery and location.
- The Lick Sleeve is machine washable and should be hung to dry.
- The fabric consists of 95% polyester and 5% spandex. We chose this material because it is soft, breathable, and flexible. This provides comfort and protection for the patient while preventing moisture trapping to decrease the risk of infection.
- Generally your dog should not need to wear an e-collar in addition to the Lick Sleeve. There are however a few exceptions for patients with high anxiety or a history of chewing things up. These patients have a higher risk of attempting to chew at the Lick Sleeve, even though most patients tolerate it well and leave the Sleeve alone. We recommend that you watch your patient for the first few hours that the Sleeve is on to see if they attempt to chew it. We also recommend the patient wear an e-collar at night or when the owner is away from the house if the patient is known to have anxiety or chew things up.
- In order to assist the male dog with the bathroom, you will unbuckle and unwrap the sleeve from around the dog’s waist. You can then use the strap as a handle while the pet urinates. Click the link below to watch the Lick Sleeve official video link that demonstrates how male dogs urinate with the sleeve on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtBsKoe86M
- Yes, we offer a 100% money back guarantee if the Lick Sleeve does not work for you. We will refund you upon receiving the returned sleeve. We will send out a return label via email free of charge.
- You can cut the bottom of the sleeve to prevent it from hanging off the paw with a pair of home scissors. The material will not fray. You can also roll the end up into a cuff if you choose.
- Yes, dogs may wear two sleeves at the same time if needed. For example, if the patient is having bilateral procedures done.
- No, the Lick Sleeve is reversible, and will work for both the right or the left limb.
- Yes, the Lick Sleeve can be worn on front legs. You can do this by crossing the long strap across the chest/heart. The right side of the sleeve will be used for the right front limb, and left side for the left front limb.
- Elizabethan collars or the so-called cone of shame is the most common protective device for keeping your pets from scratching their wounds from a recent surgery. However, it can hinder them from sleeping, eating, drinking, and moving properly. Instead of using the cone of shame, you can opt for soft e-collars, inflatable collars, or neck control collars. These alternatives have fewer movement and vision restrictions. Another alternative you can use to ditch the cone is the patented leg sleeve by Lick Sleeve. It still protects your dog from constant licking and scratching but is more flexible and breathable for your furry friend, allowing them to move and play freely without worrying about their injury.
See what dog parents love about the Lick Sleeve.